So like most people from ten to thirty I like Green Day. I have sense I was in school. Every album they’ve done has been great fun, until they released American Idiot. The band really should have broken up before that album, I was devastated disappointed with that subpar listening experience. Well now the band is back with what this guy is hoping is a comeback album, but fears it will continue down the path of mediocre. All in all this is not a good album, but it is much better than their last “effort”. Normally I’d just sum up an album in a short paragraph here but in the case of this listen I had wanted to take this on a song by song basis.
1. “Song of the Century” The album starts out with a song that is basically the worst impression of a Hank Williams song I’ve ever heard. Luckily this is under a minute long.
2. “21st Century Breakdown” After that first lack luster helping of a song I expected the worst here but was pleasantly surprised and given hope for the album because I was actually presented with a good Green Day song, or so I thought. The song stays really good until the last thirty seconds or so where it just goes in the shitter.
3. “Know Your Enemy” This song just sounds like a bad Green Day song.
4. “¡Viva La Gloria!” Here we start out awful, but luckily the last half picks up a lot.
5. “Before The Lobotomy” This one goes from sounding like a wounded cat to some of that American Idiot shit.
6. “Christians Inferno” This is an odd little ditty, it sounds like a really bad Sum41 song. Don’t get me wrong I like Sum41, but this sounds like something that may have come off of their last album (which I didn’t care for)
7. “Last Night On Earth” A song I suspect was trying to rip off the Beatles but ends up sounding like a John Tesh song.
8. “East Jesus Nowhere” A bad song.
9. “Peacemaker” Here’s a weird one that sounds kind of like a Green Day meets the Decemberists, but that meeting doesn’t go very well.
10. “Last Of the American Girls” I’m not sure if I like this song or not. It’s somewhere between New Found Glory and Bowling for Soup, but not up to the standards I’ve come to know from Green Day.
11. “Murder City” This is by far hands down the best song on the album, it’s an all around quality song.
12. “¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl)” Here it seems like they’re trying to go back to uniqueness of warning, but they fall very short.
13. “Restless Heart Syndrome” This song seems like it wants me to like it, and I almost do but it’s not quite there, about 2/3 of the way through we get some Nirvana like cords/riffs.
14. “Horseshoes And Handgrenades” This is a fun song, I like it.
15. “The Static Age” A Misfits title – not a Misfits song, or old Misfits quality, but in the upper half as far as this album goes.
16. “21 Guns” Boring.
17. “American Eulogy (Mass Hysteria/Modern World)” Sounds like some bad shit from American Idiot.
18. “See The Light” To close out the album we have what appears to be an old, not very good Green Day B Side.
Ge 21st Century Breakdown from Amazon HERE
Filed under: Music, Punk, Reviews, Rock | Tagged: American Idiot, Beatles, Bowling for Soup, Decemberists, Green Day, Hank Williams, John Tesh, Misfits, New Found Glory, Nirvana, pop punk, poppunk, punk, records, review, Reviews, Sum41, uncle critic | Leave a Comment »