December 29, 2011
best of 2011, broadcaster, cell mates, Chixdiggit, Clint Maul, Dead Ringer, Grave Digger, music, night birds, Rational Anthem, rawhide, Saturday Night Karaoke, Scum Again, strait a's, Teenage Bottlerocket, The Copyrights, The Defectives, The Fucking Cops, The Haverchucks, the quarantines, the shirks, The Slow Death, The Typos, the zits, top of 2011
EP’s are great, and this year there were a ton of great ones. This was the hardest catagory to get in order (except the #1 spot which was the runaround winner, and maybe the best all around record of the year).
- Rational Anthem: Bread Line
- Night Birds: Midnight Movies
- The Fucking Cops: Fuck You Up With Some Truth
- Cell Mates: Shoulda Kept That Quarter!
- The Slow Death: Turnstile Comix #1
- Chixdiggit!: Safeways Here We Come
- Teenage Bottlerocket: Mutilate Me
- Dead Ringer: Enjoy The Ride
- The Typos: The Typos
- The Zits: Summer Pop Dreams EP
- Clint Maul: Great Dividing EP
- The Shirks: Cry Cry Cry
- Saturday Night Karaoke: Duh!
- The Copyrights: Crutches
- Post Teens: This A.D.D.iction
- Clint Maul: Break Open Your Heart EP
- Strait A’s: You Make A Better Door Than A Girlfriend EP
- Grave Digger: The Ballad Of Mary
- The Haverchucks: The Haverchucks
- The Quarantines: Zombie Army
- Scum Again: Scum Again
- Saturday Night Karaoke: Blah!
- The Defectives: Boredom and Bad Dreams EP
- Rawhide: Branded For Life
- Broadcaster: Joyride EP
March 19, 2011
New Releses, News
Aretha Franklin, Clint Maul, Direct Hit!, Django, Ernest, Grave Digger, Stymie, Tit Patrol, Unfun, western
Ernest Double Feature: Ernest Goes to Camp & Ernest Goes to Jail
Spaghetti Western Double Feature Vol 1: D’Jango & Now They Call Him
Clint Maul: Great Dividing EP
Tit Patrol/Direct Hit split
Aretha Franklin: Take a Look: Complete on Columbia
Grave Digger: Rheingold
January 22, 2011
New Releses, News
Well I can’t say it any better than the man himself so straight from the horse’s mouth:
Hey folks! Hope everyone is having a good start to the new year. Just wanted to let everyone know that I have just released a new EP. It is called “Break Open Your Heart.” It’s a bit of a lo-fi, fuzzed out, rock, pop type thing. Below is a link where you can give it a listen and download it for free! Hope all is well.
November 29, 2010
Country, Folk, Music, Reviews
alt-country, Clint Maul, Country, folk, music, records, review, Reviews
Clint Maul is back again with a new EP, five songs at about sixteen minutes. I for one am pretty stoked that this is out, everything Clint Maul has done so far has been gold and this is no exception. This might be my second favorite thing he’s put out so far. As far as the ‘band’ most of what comes through is an acoustic and steel guitar. Right now it’s just up for download over on his bandcamp page, so head on over there and get a copy, be sure to throw the man some money because this is one of the best pieces of country music to come out this year. I hope there are plans to put this sucker out on a 7” or something.
‘Three Kings’ A perfect intro song, exactly the type of thing I expect to hear when I hear Clint Maul. I think it sets the mood for the rest of the EP greatly too, a slow relaxing pace. Simple country band sounds coming through under Clint’s easy going vocals. It’s a whiskey sippin type of song.
‘Could You Please Drive Faster’ Reminds me a little more of big country of years ago. I would totally see Willy Nelson or Merle Haggard recording this song; needless to say it’s a great one.
‘Thrift Store Dress’ The title track, opens up already heavier sounding than the rest of the EP with a very bass backing. The middle of the EP is the perfect spot for this song because it’s a middle song; it’s still great but just not quite as great as some of the other songs on here.
‘Every Little Thing’ I’ve got a lot of favorite songs on this EP and this is just another one of them.This is a great example of why this is so good, song four, coming to the close and we’ve still got top quality hit after hit songs coming to you. This is the perfect song to listen to at night sitting on the front porch.
‘About You’ This is probably the song that you’re average alt-country fan will like, it really reminds me of something Lucero or Drag the River might do. It’s a great song, one of the best on the EP.
1. Three Kings
2. Could You Please Drive Faster
3. Thrift Store Dress
4. Every Little Thing
5. About You
Get it from Clint Maul HERE
June 2, 2010
Clint Maul, Country, folk, god damn doo wop band, Hip-Hop, hiphop, house boat, Ken Yokoyama, Leatherface, like bats, louis logic, music, pop punk, poppunk, punk, R&B, rap, records, rumspringer, sharon jones, Soul, Stephen Egerton, the dopamines, The Ergs!, the hextalls, the seven degrees of stephen egerton, The Side Project, The Slow Death, The Transgressions, the zits, thrash, Tit Patrol, Vacation Bible School
June June June, half way through the year. So where do we stand music wise? There’s already been a ton of good stuff come out this year so we’ve already got two top ten lists here.
Top 10 albums – First half of 2010
Notes I feel should be mentioned but no one cares about:
Tim Barry barely got knocked off the end by Clint Maul.
Rumspringer and The Dopamines were tied for 2nd for a long time, I almost gave them both 2nd. The tie was broken by listening to both albums back to back 5 times.
1. Leatherface: The Stormy Petrel
2. Rumspringer: Empty Towers
3. The Dopamines: Expect The Worst
4. The Seven Degrees of Stephen Egerton
5. The Hextalls: Get Smashed
6. Ken Yokoyama: Four
7. Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings: I Learned the Hard Way
8. Louis Logic: Me and Everyone You Know
9. Tit Patrol: Hate Speech
10. Clint Maul: Know You Know
Top 10 splits, EP’s, Singles and Demos – First half of 2010
1. The Transgressions/The Side Project: Stop Wasting My Time
2. The Zits: Electrified! EP
3. Like Bats: Look on the Bright Side
4. The Ergs!: Thrash Compactor
5. The Slow Death: S/T EP
6. House Boat: Processing Complaints
7. The God Damn Doo Wop Band/Vacation Bible School: Covered
8. New Creases: About Last Night
9. Mean Jeans: Tears In My Beers
10. Cell Mates: Demo